Blizzard Entertainment’s annual community celebration showcases new content and new titles coming to the company’s blockbuster game universes
World-class competitors clash in Overwatch®, StarCraft® II, Hearthstone®, Heroes of the Storm®, and World of Warcraft® esports before an audience of millions of viewers around the globe
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181104005025/en/
Some of the most talented cosplayers in Blizzard Entertainment’s global gaming community put their skills on display at BlizzCon. (Photo: Business Wire)
Attendees and viewers also witnessed the dramatic conclusions to numerous esports championships and exhibition-style competitions as they unfolded across multiple stages:
StarCraft® II World Championship Series Global Finals
Winner: Joona “Serral” Sotala
History was made at BlizzCon 2018 with the first non-Korean to win a StarCraft global final in the franchise’s 20-year history. After winning all four WCS Circuit events in 2018, Finnish Zerg Serral completed his incredible run by defeating the South Korean Protoss Kim “Stats” Dae Yeob 4-2 in their best-of-seven final series.
Heroes of the Storm® Global Championship Finals
Winning team: Gen. G
After Gen.G’s harrowing 4-3 victory over Team Dignitas in the Grand Finals of the Mid-Season Brawl earlier this year, Dignitas were granted another shot at the Korean kings of Heroes of the Storm. But Gen.G brought a slew of pocket strategies and drafts that helped them out-maneuver Dignitas at each point of contention. With their 3-0 victory in the Grand Finals, Gen.G became the first team to win back-to-back BlizzCons and remain the reigning HGC World Champions.
World of Warcraft® Arena World Championship
Winning team: Method Orange
After fighting their way through a stacked 12-team double-elimination bracket, North American squad Method Orange won the World of Warcraft Arena World Championship Grand Finals 4-0 over fellow North American competitors The Gosu Crew. The win is particularly sweet for Method Orange’s Charles “cdew” Dewland, a new father who first competed at BlizzCon in 2014.
World of Warcraft® Mythic Dungeon Invitational All-Stars
Winning team: Free Marsy
The top four teams from the World of Warcraft Mythic Dungeon
Invitational (MDI) Global Finals were invited to compete on stage at
BlizzCon, but there was only room for one winner—Free Marsy from
Overwatch® World Cup
If there was any doubt about which country reigns supreme in Overwatch,
Hearthstone® Global Games
Forty-eight four-person national teams embarked this summer on their
2018 Hearthstone Global Games (HGG) journey, battling for eight
coveted playoff slots at BlizzCon.
StarCraft: Remastered Show Match: KSL vs. ASL
Winner: Jung “Rain” Yoon
The champions of
In addition to all of the epic esports action, Blizzard had several major game highlights during the show, including:
DiabloImmortal™ – Blizzard announced an authentic Diabloexperience for mobile devices with DiabloImmortal, a mobile MMO action-RPG that presents a new chapter in the globally acclaimed series. DiabloIII: Eternal Collection™ now available – Nintendo Switch owners can now get their gauntlets on Diablo III: Eternal Collection, combining all of the content from Diablo III, the Reaper of Souls®expansion, and the Rise of the Necromancer™ pack.
Warcraft® III Reforged
- Warcraft III: Reforged – Experience this beloved real-time strategy game like never before. All-new art and animations, 62 single-player missions, a refreshed user interface, an overhauled World Editor, full Battle.net® integration, and more await in this timeless classic—coming in 2019.
World of Warcraft
- Tides of Vengeance – The war between the Horde and the Alliance
reaches a crucial turning point in Tides of Vengeance, the upcoming
first major content update for the Battle for Azeroth®
expansion coming the week of
December 10that will bring the Battle of Dazar’alor raid, the Battle for Darkshore warfront, and more.
- WoW® Classic–
BlizzCon attendees got to test an early build of WoW Classic on
the show floor. Attendees and Virtual Ticket holders can access the BlizzCon
WoW Classic Demo from home until
10 a.m. PTon November 8. WoW Classic will launch Summer 2019, and will be included with a World of Warcraft subscription.
- Adopt Whomper and Support Code.org – A new in-game pet and plushie—Whomper, the playful baby yeti—is now available for purchase, with proceeds going to benefit Code.org—a nonprofit dedicated to expanding computer science education in schools and increasing participation by women and minorities.
- Ashe– A new hero, the notorious gunslinging outlaw Ashe, will soon be joining the roster of Overwatch, Blizzard’s widely acclaimed team-based shooter.
- McCree Animated Short– A new Overwatch animated short was revealed during the ceremony—in “Reunion,” McCree runs into his old friend, Ashe.
Rumble™– A new Hearthstone
December 4, pits players against the finest troll gladiators Azeroth can muster. Step into Gurubashi Arenaand fight for glory with 135 brutal new cards, including Wild Gods that have manifested in the form of nine new Legendary Loa minions.
- Rumble Run – In the single-player mode for Rastakhan’s
Rumble, Rumble Run, compete for glory before cheering crowds in a
no-holds-barred throwdown in the
Gurubashi Arena. Players will choose a troll champion and climb the ranks in this gladiatorial contest to be crowned champion. Rumble Run is free for all players; no pre-built decks are required for entry.
- Pre-Purchase Now Available – Eager combatants can pre-purchase Rastakhan’s
Rumble card packs via two bundles: a 17-pack Challenger’s
Bundle, which includes the Ready to Rumble! card back, and the 50-pack
Rumble Bundle, which includes the King Rastakhan Shaman Hero and
the Ready to Rumble! card back. These one-time-only bundles are
available on any platform for
$19.99and $49.99, respectively (players can purchase each bundle once per account).
Heroes of the Storm
- New Hero: Orphea – The first-ever Nexus-born Hero—Orphea,
Raven Courtand daughter of the nefarious Raven Lord—is an approachable ranged Assassin with a high skill cap who rewards opportunistic plays. BlizzCon attendees and Virtual Ticket holders will get Orphea free when she makes her way to the Nexus in Blizzard’s fast-paced MOBA later this month.
- Match-Quality Updates and Community Content – The 2019 gameplay update is coming to Heroes of the Storm with the goal of making games feel closer and more competitive, including exciting new changes to the experience system and matchmaking. The Heroes of the Storm team is also paying homage to some of the community’s most hotly requested items by adding skins like Janitor Leoric, the Kevin Johnson aka Cloaken announcer, and more.
- Zeratul – Prepare to strike from the shadows with the next Commander for StarCraft II’s popular Co-Op mode: Zeratul, the renowned Dark Templar prophet. By collecting powerful artifacts, Zeratul unlocks new capabilities and the ability to customize his global top bar abilities.
- Warchest/Twitch – For the first time ever, the War Chest will integrate directly with Twitch to reward players for watching StarCraft II. Players can unlock exciting in-game content such as player portraits, sprays, emoticons, banners, and for the first time ever, building skins. Learn more.
For more information on the games, players, and esports excellence that was celebrated at BlizzCon 2018, or to watch VODs of the action with the BlizzCon 2018 Virtual Ticket, visit www.blizzcon.com.
Best known for blockbuster hits including World of Warcraft, Hearthstone,
Overwatch, the Warcraft, StarCraft, and
*Sales and/or downloads. Based on internal company records and reports from key distribution partners.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements: Information in
this press release that involves
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.
VP, Global Communications
Global PR Director
Sr. PR Manager