Blizzard Entertainment's annual community celebration showcases new content for the company's blockbuster games
Dominating runs by world-class competitors in Overwatch®, StarCraft® II, Hearthstone ®, Heroes of the Storm®, and World of Warcraft® esports thrilled live attendees and viewers around the globe
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171104005085/en/
BlizzCon 2017 is
Attendees and viewers also witnessed the dramatic conclusions to three esports championships and three exhibition-style competitions:
StarCraft® II World Championship Series Global Finals
With two championship titles already under his belt in 2017, Rogue arrived on the global stage at BlizzCon as a favorite to win the whole tournament. Once he got warmed up in the grand final against soO, he showed the world he definitely deserves the title of WCS Global Champion with a 4-2 series win.
Heroes of the Storm® Global Championship Finals
Winning team: MVP Black
MVP Black and Fnatic met in the final match of the HGC Finals after both teams moved past the semis with 3-0 wins. When the dust settled, it was MVP Black standing tall over the Swedish powerhouse with a 3-1 victory after a barnburner of a finale. MVP Black's unwavering determination and dedication to their craft was enough to secure them their first trophy at BlizzCon.
World of Warcraft®
The European streak continues as
Winning team: Grimestreet Grifters
After two days of frenetic and varied play among the 12 community personalities, the Grimestreet Grifters—comprised of Andrey 'Reynad' Yanyuk, Hakjun 'Kranich' Baek, and Pathra Cadness—emerged victorious. The best-of-11 finals saw the format of each game drawn from a sealed envelope, and players were individually eliminated from the stage until the Grifters claimed the trophy 6-5 over the Chillblade Crusaders.
StarCraft: Remastered Ultimate Title Fight
Although Lee "Jaedong"
In addition to all the epic esports action, Blizzard made several major announcements for its games at the show, including:
World of Warcraft
- Battle for Azeroth™—In the seventh expansion to World of Warcraft, the war between the Horde and the Alliance reignites as players embark on a journey to recruit new allies, race to claim the world's mightiest resources, and fight on several fronts to determine which faction will lead Azeroth into its uncertain future.
- WoW® Classic—In addition to a new expansion, Blizzard also announced early plans to develop a gameplay experience that recaptures players' first journeys into the original World of Warcraft.
- Kobolds & Catacombs™—A new Hearthstone expansion, coming in December, will bring players down into the dungeons beneath Azeroth—and equip them with 135 new cards.
- Dungeon Runs—Kobolds & Catacombs brings with it a brand-new, highly replayable single-player game mode for Hearthstone featuring challenging, high-stakes subterranean journeys inspired by the classic fantasy dungeon crawl. Dungeon Runs are free for all players; no pre-built decks are required for entry.
- New Legendary Weapons—For the first time in Hearthstone, Legendary weapons are coming - and every class will get one!
Free Legendary Cards—To celebrate the new expansion, all
players will receive a free legendary minion, Marin the Fox, on
November 6, as well as a free random legendary weapon for logging in when Kobolds & Catacombs launches in December.
Eager treasure seekers can pre-purchase the new expansion card packs
in a special 50-pack bundle for
$49.99and receive the jewel-encrusted "For the Hoard!" card back for free!
II going free-to-play—Starting
November 14, players will get free access to the acclaimed Wings of Liberty® campaign, ranked ladder play, and all Co-Op Commanders up to level five.
Mira Hanand Matt Horner—the newest Co-op Commander for StarCraft II's popular Co-Op mode is actually two commanders in one: command a devastating mixture of high-powered Dominion air units as Matt Hornerand fast-moving ground units as Mira Han.
- War Chest Season 2—Following the success of this year's War Chest, StarCraft II will once again offer a fresh batch of seasonal content for players in support of StarCraft II esports.
Heroes of the Storm
- Hanzo and Alexstrasza—Two new heroes, both dragons in their own right, will bring new and dramatically different styles of play to the Nexus in Blizzard's fast-paced MOBA, Heroes of the Storm, later this year.
- 2018 Gameplay Update—Several in-game changes are coming to Heroes of the Storm in the near future, including a wider field-of-view camera, new Mercenary mechanics, and other core gameplay updates.
- Voice Chat—Players in a party will automatically use Blizzard Voice Chat (unless they opt-out) and teams will have the choice to opt-in.
- Performance-Based Matchmaking—Lets the player's personal performance in matches directly influence their matchmaking rating whether they win or lose.
- Moira—A new support hero, the life-draining geneticist named Moira, will soon be joining the roster of Overwatch, Blizzard's acclaimed team-based shooter.
Blizzard World—An amusement park celebrating the worlds of Diablo®, StarCraft, and Warcraft® serves as the location for Overwatch's newest map.
- "Honor and Glory"—The latest in the acclaimed series of animated shorts released for Overwatch takes viewers into Reinhardt's past as he wrestles with a decision of whether to answer Winston's call to join the newly reforming Overwatch.
Overwatch League—The inaugural season's 12 city-based teams
will sport in-game home and away uniforms and face off in the league's
Atlanticand Pacific divisions. League matches will be played over four days each week of the regular season, which starts January 10, 2018. Watch on Overwatchleague.com and on the forthcoming Overwatch Leaguecompanion app.
For more information on the celebration of games, players, and esports excellence at BlizzCon 2017, or to watch VODs of the action with the BlizzCon 2017 Virtual Ticket, visit www.blizzcon.com.
Best known for blockbuster hits including World of Warcraft, Hearthstone,
Overwatch, the Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo
franchises, and the multi-franchise Heroes of the Storm,
*Sales and/or downloads. Based on internal company records and reports from key distribution partners.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements: Information in
this press release that involves
News Provided by Acquire Media